- My first sunrises outside of Michigan
- The second most photos taken to date (second only to January)
- Presque Isle was the most common location
- One morning was full of panic, after forgetting the camera battery in its charger and having to return home
- May has the highest average shutter speed to date, putting my tripod to use significantly more than the previous four months
- Sun was visible for 17 of 31 sunrises
At the beginning of this month I was beginning to feel uninspired. With all the snow and ice gone, I was fearful that all the photos were going to start looking the same. Looking back on the month of May I’m quite delighted on the variety of images captured.
More coming soon, I’ve got a meeting to get to…
One day later…
The meeting went pretty well, but I need to focus on coming up with some different typeface options for the client.
I’m trying to think back through the month and figure out what were the themes were for the last 31 days. Let’s see…
– The weather was wet and fairly cold. There were mornings I was thinking it’d feel warm, and because I was so underdressed it felt colder than some of the coldest days in February. Once you get that taste of a warm day, I guess everything else feels so cold.
– Matters of the heart has certainly been a theme. Or as I like to say now, heart$#*@. It’s incredible how much the heart can stretch, in botch directions, in a short amount of time. It’s incredible how much love and how much loss the heart can feel at the same time.
– June has now arrived, and I feel a calm and ease. Lake Superior reflects that feeling, she has been so calm at morning. I knew that March through mid-May would be a wavy stretch of obligations and commitments, fun ones at that. But I find myself eager to maintain a clear calendar for summer.
– My transformation to a morning person is near complete. For the next 30 days the sunrise in Marquette is before 6AM, with the earliest of the year just 21 days away. The struggle is continuing to get up just a little earlier each day. I wonder, when June 21 comes around, will I actually find it easier to be up?
– Now 41% complete, there has been lots and lots of reflection on this project. What do I do with the photos? Will people buy prints or other products? How do I present 365 sunrises in physical form? Because 365 of anything is a lot.
Songs of May
Music has played a large role in this year's journey. These are the songs that were the theme of May, the ones that were playing in my car stereo on the way to sunrise, in my headphones while editing photos, and the ones being shared with those closeest to me. Check out the entire playlist.
This just kept bubbling to the surface all over the place. Just wish it was "Just like '19."
For early morning road trips to Big Bay
This song came into my world on the evening of May 31. It was perfect because [redacted]
May Sunrise Locations
Fuel more Sunrises
There is plenty more content to come from Year of the Sunrise I, II, III, IV, and ...V(?). Add a weekly or monthly cup of coffee to fuel more sunrise content. Or, add a quarterly tank of gas to fuel more sunrise road trips, which is just how all this began.Add ☕️ Add ⛽️