My name is Bugsy Sailor, and on January 1, 2019 I began a resolution to watch and photograph every sunrise of the year. I sought the sun, but what I found was so much more. So much, in fact,
that I have yet to miss a sunrise.
What started as Year of the Sunrise has grown into a life of sunrise. Since beginning, I have photographed 1,795 of 1,796 sunrises, primarily from the shores of Lake Superior in Marquette County, Michigan.
Along the way, sunrise has slowed my approach to life, stretched my heart, introduced me to love, given spirit to my days, navigated me through a global pandemic, and has given witness to more beauty than I, or any amount of photos, can express. There have been -35º windchills, downpours, thunderstorms, and blizzards, but no matter how gray the day, the sun still rises.
While daily photos have been the tangible output of these sunrise years, it has never been about the photos. It has been about the wind on my face, the sand between my toes, and feeling the sunrise while being present in nature. No photograph of a sunrise is better than the experience of sunrise.
- The streak ends at 1,718.
- Let’s play Yay or Nay! I built a little voting tool to determine which sunrise photos you like best
- Temperature is now included on the back of Sunrise Cards
- Built a teaser for Sunrise TV
- Added a purchase form for date requests
- Built out a page detailing my daily sunrise commute
- Temperature averages are now being compiled across the entire project
As Seen On